Your computer is too slow to handle this many creation requests!

Drake Wilson drake at begriffli.ch
Wed Dec 26 19:14:46 UTC 2007

Quoth morphium <morphium at morphium.info>, on 2007-12-26 19:45:54 +0100:
> How to optimize tor to "use" more bandwith without increasing server load?
> :)

That sounds like it's going to be rather problematic.  The data rate
that you can pass through a cryptographic system like the Tor network
uses is going to be inherently limited by how fast you can do the
crypto operations, which are fairly CPU-intensive.  And the flow of
circuit requests is going to be dependent on how much clients use
short-lived versus long-lived connections on average; there isn't any
way of which I know to say "prefer <nodes> for short-lived/long-lived
circuits", not least because there isn't an obvious way for the client
to pass an estimated connection lifetime to the proxy.

So you may be out of luck except for constraining the Tor bandwidth or
getting more processing power.  You might want to look into hardware
crypto accelerators; Tor supposedly can use those through the OpenSSL
library, but I don't see references to it ever having been confirmed
to work.  http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Jun-2005/msg00252.html

> Best regards,
> Theodor 'morphium' Reppe

   ---> Drake Wilson