Tor 0.2.0.13-alpha is out

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sat Dec 22 09:19:09 UTC 2007

Tor 0.2.0.13-alpha adds a fourth v3 directory authority run by Geoff
Goodell, fixes many more bugs, and adds a lot of infrastructure for
upcoming features.

https://www.torproject.org/download.html

Changes in version 0.2.0.13-alpha - 2007-12-21
  o New directory authorities:
    - Set up lefkada (run by Geoff Goodell) as the fourth v3 directory
      authority.

  o Major bugfixes:
    - Only update guard status (usable / not usable) once we have
      enough directory information. This was causing us to always pick
      two new guards on startup (bugfix on 0.2.0.9-alpha), and it was
      causing us to discard all our guards on startup if we hadn't been
      running for a few weeks (bugfix on 0.1.2.x). Fixes bug 448.
    - Purge old entries from the "rephist" database and the hidden
      service descriptor databases even when DirPort is zero. Bugfix
      on 0.1.2.x.
    - We were ignoring our RelayBandwidthRate for the first 30 seconds
      after opening a circuit -- even a relayed circuit. Bugfix on
      0.2.0.3-alpha.
    - Stop thinking that 0.1.2.x directory servers can handle "begin_dir"
      requests. Should ease bugs 406 and 419 where 0.1.2.x relays are
      crashing or mis-answering these types of requests.
    - Relays were publishing their server descriptor to v1 and v2
      directory authorities, but they didn't try publishing to v3-only
      authorities. Fix this; and also stop publishing to v1 authorities.
      Bugfix on 0.2.0.x.
    - When we were reading router descriptors from cache, we were ignoring
      the annotations -- so for example we were reading in bridge-purpose
      descriptors as general-purpose descriptors. Bugfix on 0.2.0.8-alpha.
    - When we decided to send a 503 response to a request for servers, we
      were then also sending the server descriptors: this defeats the
      whole purpose. Fixes bug 539; bugfix on 0.1.2.x.

  o Major features:
    - Bridge relays now behave like clients with respect to time
      intervals for downloading new consensus documents -- otherwise they
      stand out. Bridge users now wait until the end of the interval,
      so their bridge relay will be sure to have a new consensus document.
    - Three new config options (AlternateDirAuthority,
      AlternateBridgeAuthority, and AlternateHSAuthority) that let the
      user selectively replace the default directory authorities by type,
      rather than the all-or-nothing replacement that DirServer offers.
    - Tor can now be configured to read a GeoIP file from disk in one
      of two formats. This can be used by controllers to map IP addresses
      to countries. Eventually, it may support exit-by-country.
    - When possible, bridge relays remember which countries users
      are coming from, and report aggregate information in their
      extra-info documents, so that the bridge authorities can learn
      where Tor is blocked.
    - Bridge directory authorities now do reachability testing on the
      bridges they know. They provide router status summaries to the
      controller via "getinfo ns/purpose/bridge", and also dump summaries
      to a file periodically.
    - Stop fetching directory info so aggressively if your DirPort is
      on but your ORPort is off; stop fetching v2 dir info entirely.
      You can override these choices with the new FetchDirInfoEarly
      config option.

  o Minor bugfixes:
    - The fix in 0.2.0.12-alpha cleared the "hsdir" flag in v3 network
      consensus documents when there are too many relays at a single
      IP address. Now clear it in v2 network status documents too, and
      also clear it in routerinfo_t when the relay is no longer listed
      in the relevant networkstatus document.
    - Don't crash if we get an unexpected value for the
      PublishServerDescriptor config option. Reported by Matt Edman;
      bugfix on 0.2.0.9-alpha.
    - Our new v2 hidden service descriptor format allows descriptors
      that have no introduction points. But Tor crashed when we tried
      to build a descriptor with no intro points (and it would have
      crashed if we had tried to parse one). Bugfix on 0.2.0.x; patch
      by Karsten Loesing.
    - Fix building with dmalloc 5.5.2 with glibc.
    - Reject uploaded descriptors and extrainfo documents if they're
      huge. Otherwise we'll cache them all over the network and it'll
      clog everything up. Reported by Aljosha Judmayer.
    - Check for presence of s6_addr16 and s6_addr32 fields in in6_addr
      via autoconf. Should fix compile on solaris. Bugfix on 0.2.0.x.
    - When the DANGEROUS_VERSION controller status event told us we're
      running an obsolete version, it used the string "OLD" to describe
      it. Yet the "getinfo" interface used the string "OBSOLETE". Now use
      "OBSOLETE" in both cases. Bugfix on 0.1.2.x.
    - If we can't expand our list of entry guards (e.g. because we're
      using bridges or we have StrictEntryNodes set), don't mark relays
      down when they fail a directory request. Otherwise we're too quick
      to mark all our entry points down. Bugfix on 0.1.2.x.
    - Fix handling of hex nicknames when answering controller requests for
      networkstatus by name, or when deciding whether to warn about unknown
      routers in a config option. Bugfix on 0.1.2.x. (Patch from mwenge.)
    - Fix a couple of hard-to-trigger autoconf problems that could result
      in really weird results on platforms whose sys/types.h files define
      nonstandard integer types. Bugfix on 0.1.2.x.
    - Fix compilation with --disable-threads set. Bugfix on 0.2.0.x.
    - Don't crash on name lookup when we have no current consensus.  Fixes
      bug 538; bugfix on 0.2.0.x.
    - Only Tors that want to mirror the v2 directory info should
      create the "cached-status" directory in their datadir. (All Tors
      used to create it.) Bugfix on 0.2.0.9-alpha.
    - Directory authorities should only automatically download Extra Info
      documents if they're v1, v2, or v3 authorities. Bugfix on 0.1.2.x.

  o Minor features:
    - On the USR1 signal, when dmalloc is in use, log the top 10 memory
      consumers. (We already do this on HUP.)
    - Authorities and caches fetch the v2 networkstatus documents
      less often, now that v3 is encouraged.
    - Add a new config option BridgeRelay that specifies you want to
      be a bridge relay. Right now the only difference is that it makes
      you answer begin_dir requests, and it makes you cache dir info,
      even if your DirPort isn't on.
    - Add "GETINFO/desc-annotations/id/<OR digest>" so controllers can
      ask about source, timestamp of arrival, purpose, etc. We need
      something like this to help Vidalia not do GeoIP lookups on bridge
      addresses.
    - Allow multiple HashedControlPassword config lines, to support
      multiple controller passwords.
    - Authorities now decide whether they're authoritative for a given
      router based on the router's purpose.
    - New config options AuthDirBadDir and AuthDirListBadDirs for
      authorities to mark certain relays as "bad directories" in the
      networkstatus documents. Also supports the "!baddir" directive in
      the approved-routers file.