tor-community-approved free pop/imap/smtp mail

anonym anonym at lavabit.com
Wed Dec 19 01:04:53 UTC 2007

On 14/12/07 03:45, chandler sobel-sörenson wrote:
> i think i remember seeing this discussion not long ago but, if i
> remember correctly, it went off on some tangent and there were no
> results!
>
> what we are looking for: free mail which offers pop/imap/smtp access,
> approved by the tor community.

I vouch for lavabit (http://lavabit.com), earlier known as nerdshack.
They currently offer POP, IMAP and SMTP, but no webmail interface
(although it has been said that it is planned for 2008). They provide
with four different solutions, of which two are free (and thus the only
ones of interest to us): one has a 128 MB inbox and no ads, while the
other has 1024 MB inbox but injects small text ads at the bottom of at
least incomming mail (don't know about outgoing). The ads are not very
intrusive, but they break attached PGP signatures which is annoying
(inline signatures works, of course).

> what does that mean?  i think we have
> consensus that the whole system should preserve anonymity, but i'll
> make clear some of my requirements:
>
> - sign-up page does not require unneeded information - sign-up page &
> web interface do not require javascript - sign-up page & web
> interface uses ssl

Check. Neither javascript nor cookies are required. Registration only
requires username, password and captcha.

> so far, google mail meets these requirements but we all know about
> their privacy policy! so:
>
> - sane privacy policy

Check. It was started as an alternative to google's insane privacy
policy. For more information, see: http://lavabit.com/privacy_policy.html