Best Hardware for TOR server..

F. Fox kitsune.or at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 01:10:51 UTC 2007

algenon flower wrote:
> Hello TOR developers, experienced users
>   I am planning on getting my TOR server up again using new hardware. If
> any of these things won't work well with a TOR server, plz let me know.
>   Because of difficulty in the past when I was using minimum hardware
> specs,  I now will be setting up my TOR server on a dedicated machine
> with this physical architecture:
>  P4 processor @ 3GHZ, Intel MB, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 80 GB SATA HD, all behind
> a  Linksys Firewall Router.
(snip)
>   My main question here is whether or not Comcast's modem will work well
> with a TOR server, or, if I need to upgrade *that too*
(snip)
>   The whole thing will be on RedHat Enterprise Linux.
(snip)

That machine will be more than adequate - mighty nice of you to "donate"
the resources of such a nice piece of hardware to Tor! =:o)

(I like the OS, too. =xoD *g* )

Your cable modem should work fine; the minimum requirement for a Tor
server is only 20 kilobytes per second each way.

I'm running "kitsune" over a Cox cable modem, through a Linksys WRT54G
(v4, running the Thibor 3rd-party firmware); believe it or not, it's
actually a shared machine, not dedicated.

I have "kitsune" throttled to 20KB on BandwidthRate, but allow 40KB
under BandwidthBurst; those figures aren't solid, as I'm always
experimenting with things (I have to balance the usage of the network -
with several computers - against services pointed toward the Internet).

You might be able to allow more bandwidth; you'll have to play with the
values, if your connection dies while leaving them blank (which causes
Tor to attempt to automatically judge your bandwidth, IIRC).

- ---

That all being said, just be sure to forward the OR port you choose from
the router, to the server (and if you have enough bandwidth, the DirPort
also).

(One of the nice things about the router port forward, is it makes it
ridiculously easy to offer Tor on port 443, while binding to something
non-privileged on the server itself; I know Cox allows listening on 443,
so that's what I did.)

- --
F. Fox: A+, Network+, Security+
Owner of Tor node "kitsune"