Best Hardware for TOR server..

Kasimir Gabert kasimir.g at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 21:28:08 UTC 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 9:33 AM, Scott Bennett <bennett at cs.niu.edu> wrote:

>      On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 06:38:02 -0800 (PST) "Eric H. Jung"
> <eric.jung at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >--- Scott Bennett <bennett at cs.niu.edu> wrote:
> >
> >>      The providers in the U.S. are not at the forefront, obviously.  Unlike
> >> France, Japan, etc., an intermediate-speed, asymmetric model is used for
> >> residential service in the U.S.  If you have, say, $1200/month to blow, you
> >> can get a T3 line and call yourself a business, but then you need a much
> >> classier modem+router to deal with it.
> >
> >That information is a little dated. I've been getting Verizon fiber optic service to the home for
> >$40/month, which provides 5 Mbps up and 15-20 Mbps down. There are other plans for another $5-10
> >which provide 15/15 and other options.
> >
>      Then perhaps Verizon at last is trying to catch up with the state of
> things in those other countries, but it is decidedly not there yet.  I have
> an ADSL line, whose speeds vary from 5.5 to 6.9 Mb/s receive and from 0.9 to
> 1.0 Mb/s transmit.  That's the best available for home users in a Chicago
> suburb housing the second largest university in Illinois.
>

>                                   Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
> * Internet:       bennett at cs.niu.edu                              *
> *--------------------------------------------------------------------*
> * "A well regulated and disciplined militia, is at all times a good  *
> * objection to the introduction of that bane of all free governments *
> * -- a standing army."                                               *
> *    -- Gov. John Hancock, New York Journal, 28 January 1790         *

At my home I have UTOPIA fiber optic, with 15Mbps up down, and which
will switch in the next month or so to 50Mbps up and down.  The
situation *is* improving in the United States, even if it is nothing
compared with Japan, where there are plans ongoing to provide every
household with fiber optic.

Kasimir

--
Kasimir Gabert