Remote Vulnerability in Firefox Extensions

scar scar at drigon.com
Wed Aug 1 19:44:40 UTC 2007

coderman @ 2007/06/21 11:33:
> On 6/21/07, scar <scar at drigon.com> wrote:
>> it seems to me that many addons which are downloaded
>> from https://addons.mozilla.org/ use different, non-https,
>> addresses to check for and download updates.
>
> the problem exists when non https is used for updates. any plugins
> getting updates via http port 80 would be vulnerable.
>

>> would this vulnerability exist with all of those addons as
>> well?  how to find out what address each addon uses to
>> download updates?
>
> i haven't tested the various plugins myself.  a sniffer should tell
> you quickly if updates are performed insecurely, though you may need
> trial and error to determine which one is making the requests if it
> isn't obvious in the data.
>
> this would be a good subject to document on the wiki if you pursue it :)
>
> best regards,

well, it's clear that noscript uses nonsecure http to download it's update.  i think many of us use that add-on.  so, how can we safely receive noscript and other add-ons that use nonsecure http updates?  do we need to tell firefox to not download the updates, and just notify us?  then, we go to https://addons.mozilla.org and manually install the update?  or, is there an easier way?