Some problems setting up a server

Robert Hogan robert at roberthogan.net
Tue Aug 28 17:50:10 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 11:48:26 Martin Senftleben wrote:
> 1. I started using TOR a few days ago, and yesterday managed to set up
> the server. After a while (I'm not sure how many hours) my Internet
> connection was completely gone, so that I had to restart the PC. I'm
> not sure if that has to do with using TOR as a server, but if others
> have had such an experience, I would like to know what could cause
> it, so I can fix it - if it's related.
> Currently, the server is turned off.

Don't know what the explanation for this is. Tor certainly doesn't clobber
your internet connection, and I certainly hope TorK doesn't!

Both of the messages below are generated by TorK. You described them as 'in
the log' because since 0.18 I've started entering the headline of
TorK-generated passive  pop-up messages in the the 'Tor Log' tab. Even though
they're marked 'TorK' this is obviously just confusing, and on reflection a
bit dumb. I need to put some or all of them somewhere else.

From your descriptions below I think you were away from the keyboard when the
pop-up occurred because I think the body of the pop-up messages clarifies
things in both cases.

> 2. I receive messages from the server in the log:
> 	a. You may be leaking DNS requests.
> I found out that kmail and nscd were doing that. nscd is caching DNS
> requests - should I disable that? It's said to improve performance
> quite well. Or is there a way to integrate it in TOR? Or can I just
> ignore the message?

This message is generated when TorK notices a dns request (monitored via
netstat) while you have an open tor stream. The pop-up reports the program
that made the dns request. If it is not the same program you are using
anonymously then you have nothing to worry about.

TorK has an experimentail fail-safe feature that will configure your local
machine to redirect all udp  dns requests to TorK. This works on the 0.2.x
series of Tor and will help safeguard against the risk the above message is
meant to highlight.

> 	b. Your traffic can be eavesdropped.
> Now, that is what I want to avoid. But I didn't find a hint how TOR
> found it out, or which program makes it possible, or which settings I
> have to change. I followed the book when setting it all up and was
> happy that it was working.

This is a generic warning that pops up the first time TorK detects you using a
non-secure port on Tor such as http or telnet. The full pop-up message is:

"Try to use the secure version of services (e.g. https:// instead of http://)
if you are entering a username and password or the content is sensitive.
Would you like to see an explanation of why using Tor can make un-encrypted
traffic potentially less secure than normal?"

If you click yes, you are brought to:

http://tork.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FAQ#Is_Tor_more_secure_than_ordinary_internet_use.3F

> Can you please direct me to the right resources, where I can find
> answers, or answer me here? I try to be more specific if necessary.
> However, I am not so much familiar with the technical details, some
> terms are completely new to me and I have to learn.

TorK is meant to help you do this, so it's clearly failing.

Can you mail me personally to let me know:

* If you saw the passive-popups but didn't find them helpful
* If putting tork-generated messages in the log tab was confusing to you.
* If the log entries had been more complete would that have reduced your
confusion.
* Any comments you may have on the meaningfulness of the messages.

Thanks very much for your feedback!

Robert

--

Browse Anonymously Anywhere	- http://anonymityanywhere.com