Has anyone had the identity revealed in Tor?

Jon McLachlan mcla0181 at umn.edu
Mon Aug 27 21:26:06 UTC 2007

It is trivial for global passive adversaries, like the government or
large telcom companies, to link true sources and true destinations of
Tor traffic.

Tor aims to provide anonymity against weaker, local adversaries - and
even then, adversaries can win, as investigated in these papers.

Read,
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~sjm217/papers/oakland05torta.pdf
http://cypherspace.org/adam/pubs/traffic.pdf
http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~hopper/ccs-latency-leak.pdf
http://petworkshop.org/2007/papers/PET2007_preproc_Sampled_traffic.pdf

Or, for a lot of papers on anonymity,
http://freehaven.net/anonbib/date.html

I would bet it happens more often than we'd like to think, as practical
low-cost anonymity is still an open problem.

~Jon