0.1.2.17 is getting close to ready; please test it

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Aug 20 04:31:08 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

We're getting close to having 0.1.2.17 ready. I've put a snapshot at
http://freehaven.net/~arma/tor-0.1.2.16-dev.tar.gz
http://freehaven.net/~arma/tor-0.1.2.16-dev.tar.gz.asc

Please grab it, try it out, and let us know whether we broke anything. (We
may be adding a few more backports before the final release, but this
should be most of them.)

Thanks,
--Roger

Partial list of changes in version 0.1.2.17 - 2007-08-??
  o Removed features (security):
    - We removed support for the old (v0) control protocol. It has been
      deprecated since Tor 0.1.1.1-alpha, and keeping it safe and secure
      has been more of a headache than it's worth.

  o Major bugfixes (stream expiration):
    - Expire not-yet-successful application streams in all cases if
      they've been around longer than SocksTimeout. Right now there are
      some cases where the stream will live forever, demanding a new
      circuit every 15 seconds. Bugfix on 0.1.2.7-alpha; fixes bug 454;
      reported by lodger.

  o Minor features (controller):
    - Add a PROTOCOLINFO controller command. Like AUTHENTICATE, it
      is valid before any authentication has been received. It tells
      a controller what kind of authentication is expected, and what
      protocol is spoken. Implements proposal 119.

  o Minor bugfixes (performance):
    - Save on most routerlist_assert_ok() calls in routerlist.c, thus
      greatly speeding up loading cached-routers from disk on startup.
    - Disable sentinel-based debugging for buffer code: we squashed all
      the bugs that this was supposed to detect a long time ago, and now
      its only effect is to change our buffer sizes from nice powers of
      two (which platform mallocs tend to like) to values slightly over
      powers of two (which make some platform mallocs sad).

  o Minor bugfixes (misc):
    - If exit bandwidth ever exceeds one third of total bandwidth, then
      use the correct formula to weight exit nodes when choosing paths.
      Based on patch from Mike Perry.
    - Choose perfectly fairly among routers when choosing by bandwidth and
      weighting by fraction of bandwidth provided by exits. Previously, we
      would choose with only approximate fairness, and correct ourselves
      if we ran off the end of the list.
    - If we require CookieAuthentication but we fail to write the
      cookie file, we would warn but not exit, and end up in a state
      where no controller could authenticate. Now we exit.
    - If we require CookieAuthentication, stop generating a new cookie
      every time we change any piece of our config.
    - Refuse to start with certain directory authority keys, and
      encourage people using them to stop.
    - Terminate multi-line control events properly. Original patch
      from tup.