Privoxy usage?

Mike Cardwell tor at lists.grepular.com
Sat Aug 18 19:21:32 UTC 2007

nobledark at hushmail.com wrote:

> I have heard of the "TCP over TCP" issue but have not had any bad
> experiences so far. I am currently using both TCP and UDP-based VPN
> systems and while the TCP-based one is a bit slower, it still seems
> very stable for applications such as Terminal Services, FTP,
> http(s), etc.
>
> I do notice problems with some apps (FTP for example) if I'm trying
> to use a TCP-based connection over a satellite link - lot of TCP
> RSTs and "Zero Window"-type errors in the sniff though on some
> satellite systems even UDP-based tunnels don't seem to work very
> well for anything other than low bandwidth applications.

Same here. I use OpenVPN with my laptop as the client. I chose to use
TCP over port 443, rather than the default UDP so I'd have no
NAT/firewall issues as I move around from network to network. Works like
a charm. I don't deny it's probably inefficient, but it's not noticably
so. Not to me anyhow.

Mike