Querying TOR server info

Kyle Williams kyle.kwilliams at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 08:56:36 UTC 2007

Also, if you are running Tor with the ControlPort open, you want to make
sure it's secure and is using one of two methods of authentication if it's
not already in a virtual machine. :)

This link ( http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Aug-2007/msg00130.html )
explains in more detail.

Simply having the "AUTHENTICATE" command as a means of authentication with
no hashed password or cookie is  bad  idea.

You wouldn't use an empty password for your PC or e-mail would you? (I hope
not)
So don't leave an empty password for the port that controls your Tor
instance, aka, your  anonymity, security, and privacy.

Note that the defaults that come with the Tor-Vidalia bundle and several
others distributions DO NOT set any authentication for the control port, so
you have to manually do it yourself, which could (and probably will) result
in Vidalia or other GUI controls not functioning correctly.  It's a trade
off (for now...) between usability and security, so the choice is yours.

I also want to point out that JanusVM does offer both easy usability and
security, even from insecure defaults and side-channel attacks; However, it
only uses Tor as a client and not as server node, at this time.
The server node option will be present in the next release, so check it out
at the end of this month!

best regards.