Client config help - TOR will not start - directory information "not enough to build a circuit"

Carlton B thelarch at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 22 14:27:09 UTC 2007

phobos at rootme.org wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 12:58:20AM -0400, thelarch at bellsouth.net wrote 3.9K bytes in 75 lines about:
> : I installed v1.2.12-rc and find that TOR is unable to start (running as
> : client).   The obvious message is that it can't connect to
> : localhost:9051.  This is a first-time install, straight out of the box,
> : no config changes made other than turning up the debug level.   Any
> : Apr 22 00:34:46:390 [Notice] Tor v0.1.2.12-rc. This is experimental
> : software. Do not rely on it for strong anonymity.
> : Apr 22 00:08:41.531 [notice] Tor 0.1.1.26 opening new log file.
>
> 	You appear to have two versions of Tor installed.  My advice is
> 	to uninstall Tor, make sure there is no Tor process running, and
> 	then reinstall whichever version you want.

Those two versions were at entirely separate times.  These lines never
appeared together in the log except where you and the previous poster
cut and pasted them together.

I tried a lot of troubleshooting before posting here.   One was
upgrading from 0.1.1.26 to 0.2.12.   Between the different versions, I
completely uninstalled and reinstalled, taking care to delete the Tor
program files and restart the computer to ensure that no processes were
running.   The one file I left in place was the debug log.   The only
reason my previous message contained logs from 2 different versions is
that the debug log appender apparently does not work in v 1.2.12.  (I
tested it several times and rechecked my torrc... it works in the first
version, does not work at all in the second).   So when I pasted from
the debug log, I didn't notice that it appended nothing in the second
run, but the lines from the message log were current.   That is the
reason for the apparent mismatch.

I appreciate the responses, but is anyone willing to look past the
superficial and easily explainable problems at what the logs say?   For
example, what does it mean that it "learned some information but not
enough to build a circuit?"    Why the "WSAECONNREFUSED"?

I really want to get this up and running....