Another Method to Block Java Hijinks

Kyle Williams kyle.kwilliams at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 12:18:02 UTC 2007

I've tested JanusVM with QEMU; still having a few issues there with the
routing and windows causing a nasty loopback effect on traffic.  Hopefully I
will have this resolved soon, because I would really like to get this
running live in windows off a CD and I think (Qemu + Windows Accelerator)
would have a much better foot print in size and speed compared to VMware or
Moka5.

Moka5 does VMWare for USB devices (or "LIVE PC's").  The problem I found
with Moka5 was it didn't like running off a CD, and really was designed to
be run off a USB devices.  Also, it had the same effect as the TAP-Win32
Adapter in terms of installing and un-installing.  You could install it
once, but after you un-installed it, you had to reboot.

Qemu has a few problems being run from a CD, and similar to VMware, you
still have to install the TAP-Win32 Adapter to get the networking to work
from the VM correctly.  Also, after you un-install the TAP Adapter, you have
to reboot windows before you can re-install it again.

I did get a version ( Moka5/VMware and Qemu) of this working off of a CD,
but it had to copy files to the hard drive in a temp directory before use,
then use sdelete to securely (7 passes) erase the files from the hard drive
after the emulator exited.
Personally, I didn't like having to copy files (other than the TAP-Win32
Adapter files) from the CD to the HD, so I never released it...even though
I'm still sitting on the raw images from the last few months.

I like both Qemu and VMware and plan on supporting them both at some point.

As for the licensing, I think Qemu fits the bill, or pretty close anyway.