Another Method to Block Java Hijinks

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Apr 9 20:13:17 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 01:07:07PM -0700, Ben Wilhelm wrote:
> Roger Dingledine wrote:
> >Kyle: this would be more useful if it didn't depend on a non-free vm
> >player. Do any of the free software variants of VMWare actually work
> >well enough for this approach?
[snip]
> VMWare Player ought to be possible to set up so that it runs behind a
> DHCP server on whatever is running VMWare. VMWare Server definitely is.

Whoops, I should probably clarify my terms before this thread blows
up. By non-free, I mean software not available under a Debian Free
Software Guidelines style license.

So by free software variants of VMWare, I meant some virtual machine
approach that is available as free software. To my knowledge none of
the VMWare stuff is free software.

(I don't mean to say that the nonexistence of a free vm player is a deal
killer here; but boy does it hinder testing, analysis, and overall trust.)

--Roger