Selecting and using a particular Tor IP address

Michael_google gmail_Gersten keybounce at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 14:38:45 UTC 2007

On 4/25/07, F M <cantinabandsong at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the tip.  I'm a bit new to this, so please
> forgive the dumb question, but where do you find the
> nodename?  Is this the IP address?

If you are using the .exit "hostname" to force a specific tor exit
node, then you use that particular tor node name.

A quick, dirty, but mostly working system is to add port 80 to the
long lived port list; this makes high uptime nodes more likely (almost
certainty). Keep in mind that this isn't perfect; if a circuit is
unused for 10 minutes, or more than an hour old, it will be rotated.

My solution? Since this is very common -- all PhPBBS sites, and some
others -- I just add these as exceptions in my privoxy config, so that
they never go through tor. I'm already signing in to the BBS forum, so
they know who I am. Avoiding Tor tells both my ISP and their ISP about
the communication.

A solution that keeps Tor and these nodes?
Combine both "TrackHostExits" and long lived ports.

LongLivedPorts 80,443,23,21,22,706,1863,5050,5190,5222,5223,6667,8300,8888

That adds port 80 to the default list (Boo! I have to respecify the
whole list just to add one port).

TrackHostExits forums.puzzlepirates.com

That says to make sure that any connection to that host will use the
same exit node.
Warning #1: If the exit Tor node goes down, Tor won't help you on
this. Hence, you want to use the LongLivedPorts to avoid this. (Yea,
that bit me a lot at first.)
Warning #2: Tor makes a 4 hop circuit, not a 3 hop circuit, for
secondary connections when you use this. I don't know why --
seriously, why first make a normal three hop, and then extend to a
forced exit node, rather than making a short two hop, and then extend
to a forced exit node?