Accept-encoding: gzip

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Thu Apr 26 18:06:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 11:57:17AM +0100, Mike Cardwell wrote:
> As a directory mirror, current requests for the mirror data cause about
> 2.7MB of data transfer. If the data could be delivered compressed with
> gzip that could significantly reduce the transfered data...

Agreed. That's why we do it already. :)

Search dir-spec.txt for ".z".

(We use zlib, not gzip, for portability reasons. But it's close enough.)

Also, almost nobody fetches the v1 directory anymore (the big one you
describe above). Most people (I hope) are using the v2 directory design
at this point, which was introduced in Tor 0.1.1.x.

--Roger