Accept-encoding: gzip

Mike Cardwell tor at lists.grepular.com
Thu Apr 26 10:57:17 UTC 2007

As a directory mirror, current requests for the mirror data cause about
2.7MB of data transfer. If the data could be delivered compressed with
gzip that could significantly reduce the transfered data...

The main benefit of this being more bandwidth available for routing
instead of directory transfers. This could be done in a backwards
compatible fashion simply by using the http "Accept-encoding: gzip"
option. This could even be an option that you enable/disable from
the torrc. Am I right? Or am I missing something?

Mike