Another Method to Block Java Hijinks

norvid norvid at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 17:02:33 UTC 2007

On 4/5/07, James Muir <jamuir at scs.carleton.ca> wrote:
> norvid wrote:

<snip>

> I've heard that properly configuring a firewall can be tricky.  In any
> case, using a firewall still doesn't protect from Java applets reading
> identifying information locally and sending it back through the
> anonymous connection.

Actually, I believe that with the browser denied access to the
internet, the normal 2-way java applet communication is prevented.
Please try the test I mentioned.

> In my opinion, I think its best just to disable Java, and all the other
> plugins mentioned in the warning on the download page.

I agree.  I am throwing my idea out here just for info purposes so
that those who know more than I might take it into consideration for
whatever it's worth (perhaps not much).

> You may be interested to know that there is a Live CD which bundles Tor
> and some ipchains rules.  It is mentioned in the Tor FAQ -- see "Virtual
> Privacy Machine":

I am perfectly happy for my purposes with the way I have Tor
configured.  I'd likely give that a try if and when I get a new
machine with a new OS.

<snip>

Dave