Example hidden service issue

Mike Cardwell tor at lists.grepular.com
Mon Apr 23 18:41:13 UTC 2007

Roger Dingledine wrote:

>> Wont that give google a map of Real IP -> Hidden service name?
> Yes, you're absolutely right. Oops. Thanks for pointing it out.
>
> I originally split the setup instructions into two steps because
> people had a lot of trouble distinguishing whether they had screwed up
> editing their torrc or had screwed up setting up their webserver. It's
> doubly tricky because we're trying to be platform independent in the
> instructions.
>
> One option is to remove step one. This will cause more people to get
> confused and send us angry mail that our instructions are too hard.

*snip option two*

Just a reminder as it's been a few weeks since this discussion. The
"bad" hidden service instructions are still up in the online
documentation. I left option one above as I think that should be the
option used, at least in the short term until someone gets around to
writing some more extensive documentation.

Mike