Earthlink's broken DNS affecting Tor nodes?

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Mon Sep 4 21:49:32 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 11:26:51AM -0400, Jay Goodman Tamboli wrote:
> I'm currently running a Tor node (phrenograph) on an Earthlink DSL
> connection, and they've recently started returning a "help" site's IP
> instead of NXDOMAIN when a DNS lookup is requested for a nonexistent
> site. See [1] for more. Should I be concerned about this change's
> effect on the Tor network, since presumably DNS lookups I do are no
> longer perfect? If it does have a detrimental effect, is there a way
> to block DNS lookups in my exit policy?

Alas, there isn't a way to do this now: all nodes are assumed to have
working DNS.  The symptoms are minor, however, and I'd leave your
server running.

This *is* something we should fix, though.  I've added bug 330 on
flyspray to remind us to fix it.  I've suggested a few possible
solutions there; if anybody wants to submit a patch, I'd love to get
something in to handle this situation.

(bug link at
http://bugs.noreply.org/flyspray/index.php?do=details&id=330 )

yrs,