newbee questions

Marco Gruss kork at kork.dyndns.org
Sun Sep 3 16:42:57 UTC 2006

Hi Pascal,

> I would like to understand why my tor server (clearstream) try to reach
> the following servers on non usual tor ports ports (80, 443, 9001,
> 9030) ?
The or port can be freely configured... 80, 443 et al. are just
the most used ones.

> server IP 	port
> 12.30.222.10	9876
See http://serifos.eecs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/desc.pl?q=mrspliffdoingtor
9876 is that server's port.

http://serifos.eecs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/desc.pl?q=torsheffield

> 18.244.0.188	9031
9031 is the port on which the tor directory is being served.

> What impact it has on my exit policy on my firewall ?
If you don't allow those destination ports, connections to those
servers won't be established. Other than that, it should have
no negative impact (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Marco