information about cenzorship in Slovenia

Matej Kovacic matej.kovacic at owca.info
Mon Sep 18 07:32:10 UTC 2006

Hi,

> Also my impression is that the European Court didn't rule that
> across-border gambling is legal in the whole EU, but that
> restrictions are only allowed if they happen in the public interest:

Yes. But if member states would prohibit gambling at all - they could
say it is in public interest because gambling is bad. But member states
does not this - they allow gambling for some domestic companies only. So
they are limiting free movement of services, which is illegal.

> The Chinese government's censorship is done without
> breaking Chinese law isn't it? Of course it still sucks,
> but I don't see why it should be called illegal.

In Slovenia we have a special law, which states ISP's are not resposible
for content they transfer (if they do not initiate the transfer or look
into packets). Our "gambling office" said that ISP's are responsible for
helping online gambling sites if they do not block access to them. It is
not true - it is in direct contradiction with law.

And it is also illegal to order ISP's some action with a simple piece of
paper, without legal notice. That's why I said it is illegal.

bye, Matej