Tor appliance

Brad Freeman bradfreeman at mac.com
Sat Sep 16 06:40:05 UTC 2006

> How about tor on a WRTG54 wireless router? That would be cheap, and I
> would guess it's possible given the linux OS firmware. I can't make
> this happen since I'm not a programmer, but the idea has occurred to
> me before. I like the HyperWRT project, Thibor version.
> (http://www.thibor.co.uk/). Maybe start a thread in the forums to see
> what the response is.
>
> -P

I've considered this option also on my WRT54GL flashed with DD-WRT if
it would work and be able to process the encryption fast enough
without overclocking the router.

I've also considered setting up a linux box as a firewall with either
IPCop, Astaro, or Smoothwall. Does anyone have experience with these
or another OS as a firewall appliance? My primary goal is not only
security but to control/monitor QoS and total amount of bandwidth
used. Even though I have a 24Mbit/s connection with high bandwidth
allowance, I need to use some of it also!

Thanks,

Brad