Another confiscation

Lexi Pimenidis lexi at i4.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Sep 15 19:06:07 UTC 2006

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 05:01:50PM CEST, Thomas Hluchnik wrote:

> There were not only tor nodes confiscated, the Staatsanwaltschaft of
> Konstanz also confiscated a AN.ON server owning the ULD (Unabhängige
> Landeszentrum für Datenschutz Schleswig-Holstein, Independent Center
> for Data Protection Schleswig-Holstein).

Now, this is strange.

First: AN.ON contains some kind of law enforcement functionality -
obviously the law enforcement doesn't like to use it, although it's
supposed to be there?

Second: IIRC(!) one of the main points of criticism of the AN.ON people
against the tor project is that tor will have serious problems if the
police will start confiscating servers at a large scale because noone
will provide tor servers any more, while AN.ON will be immune to
confiscation because of the servers being provider by large companiyes
with law professionals. Possibly this argument just crumbled to dust?

Just my 2c and it's currently late... I'll re-read this tomorrow ;)

	Lexi

--
Wxed.-Xhatpy. Dvix Exyvhxwxr, sbbe://nnn-x4.xhatpyzbxm.pnbs-zzcsvh.wv/~dvix/
PNBS Zzcsvh, Xhatpyzbxm XO, Zstphrbp. 55 - 52056 Zzcsvh - Gvpyzhj