Now tor does not work at all...

Marianne Spiller spillerm at falkenmumie.ath.cx
Thu Sep 14 21:04:02 UTC 2006

Hi there,

I tried to find a workaround for the error I described a few days ago,
but it was not possible. Then I would exactly know the time until tor
crashes, but - surprisingly - now it doesn't work at all:

$ /etc/rc.d/tor start
.: Out of file descriptors

So I added a short line in the startup script (after #!/bin/sh), ulimit
-a; the output is the following:
time(seconds)        unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
data(kbytes)         131072
stack(kbytes)        2048
coredump(blocks)     unlimited
memory(kbytes)       251064
locked memory(kbytes) 83689
process(processes)   160
nofiles(descriptors) 64
sbsize(bytes)        unlimited
.: Out of file descriptors

The line nofiles(descriptors) seemed not so okay to my, so I changed the
line in the startup script to ulimit -n 1200

$ /etc/rc.d/tor start
/etc/rc.conf.d/tor: too many nested function calls

/bin/sh -x /etc/rc.d/tor start seems very wrong to me - the startup
script loops endlessly.

I had a look to the currently opened files via fstat/pstat, p.e.
$ pstat -T
200/1772 files

Tor was great, I would like it to run - but now I just don't know what
to do. *Any* suggestions? ;)

  Mary

--
Von allen Dingen, die mir verloren gegangen,
hab ich am meisten an meinem Verstand gehangen.