[or-talk] tor server behind smoothwall

Sam Creasey sammy at sammy.net
Fri Sep 8 20:31:43 UTC 2006

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Rouslan Nabioullin wrote:

> I recently switched to a smoothwall firewall (info: www.smoothwall.org)
> and for some reason my Tor server ports could not be accessed behind the
> green interface.

>  The issue is definetely not port forwarding because I run web\ftp
> servers behind it with no problem.

>  Does anyone know a solution? Smoothwall firewalls have very strong
> protection and might be blocking Tor in some way.

I'm just guessing here, as I don't run my Tor server behind an external
firewall, but...  If the smoothwall, like some firewalls, is doing some
sort of NAT out the outgoing IP address, you may be adveritsing an
incorrect IP address for your server.  This wouldn't be as likely to
affect WWW servers, where you publish the address yourself (e.g. through
DNS) as it would be for Tor, which publishes it's own address.

I'd take a look at the Address line in your torrc, which may need to
reflect the address of the smoothwall, rather than the internal address
of your machine.

Again, this is just a guess, your configuration my be completely
different.

Good luck... :)

-- Sam