Earthlink's broken DNS affecting Tor nodes?

Matt Ghali matt at snark.net
Tue Sep 5 17:41:55 UTC 2006

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, numE wrote:

> Maybe http://www.orsn.net/ would be even better than opendns.
> OpenDns is commercial... orsn not.

IIRC, OpenDNS does the same sort of "Lie on NXDOMAIN" foolishness
that Earthlink has started doing, which is what the original poster
was trying to escape.

Doesn't ORSN use an alternate-root scheme where there's no real
guarantee you're getting the same answers anyone using the one true
root would get? I might be conflating my alternate-root quacks here,
but I seem to recall their root delegations differ from the real
ones.

matto

> Andrew Del Vecchio schrieb:
>> Alternatively, you can use OpenDNS's servers. See www.opendns.com.
>> OpenDNS is very easy (just use their IP addresses), and quite fast. On
>> the other hand, caching can be fast too, and give you slightly more
>> security, as you'll be sending less requests, thus making traffic
>> analysis a tad more labor intensive. Would you concur, Matt?
>>
>> ~Andrew

   Moral indignation is a technique to endow the idiot with dignity.
                                                 - Marshall McLuhan