ftp

glymr glymr_darkmoon at ml1.net
Wed Oct 4 11:20:32 UTC 2006

i think i know what the problem is at least in the way i tried to do
this using socat, ftp opens two ports to connect. 21 for the control
connection and some other port for the data connection.

i would like to hear about what can be done to make this work because i
really can't see any reason why a passive ftp connection should be
unusable from behind a proxy of any kind, 4, 4a or 5

here's the transcript from my gftp session using socat as such:

socat TCP4-LISTEN:4242,fork \
SOCKS4A:localhost:ftp.planetmirror.com.au:21,socksport=9050

log begins from here:

- --8<--snip--8<--

gFTP 2.0.18, Copyright (C) 1998-2003 Brian Masney <masneyb at gftp.org>. If
you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about this program,
please feel free to email them to me. You can always find out the latest
news about gFTP from my website at http://www.gftp.org/
gFTP comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details, see the COPYING
file. This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; for details, see the COPYING file
Looking up localhost
Trying localhost:4242
Connected to localhost:4242
220 ProFTPD  Server (PlanetMirror FTP2) [203.16.234.85]
USER anonymous
331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your password.
PASS xxxx
230 Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply.
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
TYPE I
200 Type set to I
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (203,16,234,85,184,221).
Cannot create a data connection: No route to host
Disconnecting from site localhost

- --8<--snip--8<--