ftp

Jay Goodman Tamboli jay at tamboli.cx
Wed Oct 4 11:02:20 UTC 2006

On Oct 4, 2006, at 06:54:56, glymr wrote:

> I'm rather puzzled why tor proxies every other protocol but refuses
> ftp
> and says it isn't a http proxy. ftp != http. why is this error
> coming up?
>
> i grepped the source for ftp and 21 and came up with nothing
> telling me
> why it was refusing to talk to ftp servers. i installed a dedicated
> ftp
> client, i tried a number of proxy types, obviously not http.

In what program are you seeing the error message, and what is the
message?

For FTP, you want to use a SOCKS proxy on port 9050. That is, the
request should go directly to Tor rather than to Privoxy (since
Privoxy is an http proxy). There may also be DNS leakage depending on
which version of SOCKS is used. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable
than me can tell you whether to use SOCKS 4, 4a, 5, or whatever.

/jgt
--
http://tamboli.cx/
PGP Key ID: 0x7F2AC862B511029F