Possible fishing attempt for eBay

Total Privacy nosnoops at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 31 20:00:44 UTC 2006

Maybe slightly off topic (btw, is "OT" = "Off Topic" or "On Topic"?)
but because I newer had anything to do with eBay and still get this,
perhaps other on this list also received it as some strange effect
of being into this list, where any member see all others addresses?

The following email appeared two times (25 and 26 octobre) sent from
members at ebay.com with a subject of "Security Service Notification".
Both have exactly the same content, except for two different email
addresses when looking at the full headers. One ends with @trigno.com
and the other ends with @franc2.mit.edu (if this is some mistake or
illegitime use off innocent addresses, I should´nt expose them here).
The headers also show different IP´s than the one in the email text.

I don´t really understand what it says, but did´nt click on the links.
The mail body is as follows:

This message only has an HTML part -- this is a text generated representation

eBay sent this message to member of ebay
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. [1]Learn more.
[hdrLeft_13x39.gif] Ebay Security -- Security Service Notification eBay
[s.gif]
eBay sent this message on behalf of an eBay member via My Messages. Responses sent using email will go to the eBay member directly and will include your email address. Click the Respond Now button below to send your response via My Messages (your email address will not be included).
[s.gif]
[s.gif]
[s.gif]

                 Security Service Notification

                             [s.gif]

  Dear eBay Member,

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your eBay account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to believe that your account was used by a third party without your authorization.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual login attempts may have been initiated by you.

The login attempt was made from:

IP address: 172.25.210.66
ISP Host: cache-66.proxy.aol.com

By now, we used many techniques to verify the accuracy of the information our users provide us when they register on the Site. However, because user verification on the Internet is difficult, eBay cannot and does not confirm each user's purported identity.

Thus, we have established an offline verification system o help you evaluate with who you are dealing with.

click on the link below, fill the form and then submit as we will verify :

                [2][respondNowButton_117x21.gif]

The rest of it is only some listings of picture names and standard
looking phrases, and finally a bunch of links.

If you reply on this post, please erase the main part of it (easyer to
read and don´t take that much space on the or-talk archive), especially
because it is maybe a little off topic, thanks.