Tor and Posting To Newsgroups With A Newsreader?

Claude LaFrenière Gulliver.Tor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 18:28:27 UTC 2006

Hi  *Deacon Frost*   :

> Hiya,
>
> Can some one please tell me how I can use Tor to post to newsgroups by using
> a newsreader?  What newsreader to use and what settings? Thanks.

Any NNTP news reader ... This depend on your O.S.

For W xp you may use 40tude Dialog:
http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

I'm using it also for my emails and start it with torcap:

"C:\Program Files\torcap\torcap.exe" 127.0.0.1 9050 "C:\Program Files\40tude Dialog\dialog.exe"

So all communications passed throught Tor...  ;-)

In preferences | Server, identity, signature:

identity :
you add your informations such as name,
pop3 or pop3s server, smtp / smtp tls,
your real email address...(for Gmane, for usenet put a false one to avoid spam !!!)

For Gmail it's :
pop3s : pop.gmail.com
port 995 SSL
+ name and password

smtp tls: smtp.gmail.com
port 587 ssl
+ name and password

server:
NNTP server :  news.gmane.org port 119
OR
NNTPS server : snews.gmane.org port 563

Please note that you have to suscribe to the or-talk list with NNTP
at Gmane web site before :

http://gmane.org/subscribe.php

When you send your first Post with the NNTP client
you received one email from Gmane to confirm you exist.
Answer it and it's all set !

:)

--
Claude LaFrenière