Tor 0.1.2.3-alpha is out

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Nov 6 06:17:54 UTC 2006

This is the third development snapshot for the 0.1.2.x series. It
starts preparing the Tor directory authorities to integrate with Mike
Perry's new Tor controller, so we can autodetect broken exit relays. The
bundles include the new Vidalia 0.0.9 release, which features an improved
interface for setting up and configuring a Tor server. The Windows bundle
also includes Torbutton for simpler installs.

http://tor.eff.org/download.html

Changes in version 0.1.2.3-alpha - 2006-10-29
  o Minor features:
    - Prepare for servers to publish descriptors less often: never
      discard a descriptor simply for being too old until either it is
      recommended by no authorities, or until we get a better one for
      the same router. Make caches consider retaining old recommended
      routers for even longer.
    - If most authorities set a BadExit flag for a server, clients
      don't think of it as a general-purpose exit. Clients only consider
      authorities that advertise themselves as listing bad exits.
    - Directory servers now provide 'Pragma: no-cache' and 'Expires'
      headers for content, so that we can work better in the presence of
      caching HTTP proxies.
    - Allow authorities to list nodes as bad exits by fingerprint or by
      address.

  o Minor features, controller:
    - Add a REASON field to CIRC events; for backward compatibility, this
      field is sent only to controllers that have enabled the extended
      event format.  Also, add additional reason codes to explain why
      a given circuit has been destroyed or truncated. (Patches from
      Mike Perry)
    - Add a REMOTE_REASON field to extended CIRC events to tell the
      controller about why a remote OR told us to close a circuit.
    - Stream events also now have REASON and REMOTE_REASON fields,
      working much like those for circuit events.
    - There's now a GETINFO ns/... field so that controllers can ask Tor
      about the current status of a router.
    - A new event type "NS" to inform a controller when our opinion of
      a router's status has changed.
    - Add a GETINFO events/names and GETINFO features/names so controllers
      can tell which events and features are supported.
    - A new CLEARDNSCACHE signal to allow controllers to clear the
      client-side DNS cache without expiring circuits.

  o Security bugfixes:
    - When the user sends a NEWNYM signal, clear the client-side DNS
      cache too. Otherwise we continue to act on previous information.

  o Minor bugfixes:
    - Avoid sending junk to controllers or segfaulting when a controller
      uses EVENT_NEW_DESC with verbose nicknames.
    - Stop triggering asserts if the controller tries to extend hidden
      service circuits (reported by mwenge).
    - Avoid infinite loop on unexpected controller input.
    - When the controller does a "GETINFO network-status", tell it
      about even those routers whose descriptors are very old, and use
      long nicknames where appropriate.
    - Change NT service functions to be loaded on demand.  This lets us
      build with MinGW without breaking Tor for Windows 98 users.
    - Do DirPort reachability tests less often, since a single test
      chews through many circuits before giving up.
    - In the hidden service example in torrc.sample, stop recommending
      esoteric and discouraged hidden service options.
    - When stopping an NT service, wait up to 10 sec for it to actually
      stop.  (Patch from Matt Edman; resolves bug 295.)
    - Fix handling of verbose nicknames with ORCONN controller events:
      make them show up exactly when requested, rather than exactly when
      not requested.
    - When reporting verbose nicknames in entry_guards_getinfo(), avoid
      printing a duplicate "$" in the keys we send (reported by mwenge).
    - Correctly set maximum connection limit on Cygwin. (This time
      for sure!)
    - Try to detect Windows correctly when cross-compiling.
    - Detect the size of the routers file correctly even if it is
      corrupted (on systems without mmap) or not page-aligned (on systems
      with mmap). This bug was harmless.
    - Sometimes we didn't bother sending a RELAY_END cell when an attempt
      to open a stream fails; now we do in more cases. This should
      make clients able to find a good exit faster in some cases, since
      unhandleable requests will now get an error rather than timing out.
    - Resolve two memory leaks when rebuilding the on-disk router cache
      (reported by fookoowa).
    - Clean up minor code warnings suggested by the MIPSpro C compiler,
      and reported by some Centos users.
    - Controller signals now work on non-Unix platforms that don't define
      SIGUSR1 and SIGUSR2 the way we expect.
    - Patch from Michael Mohr to contrib/cross.sh, so it checks more
      values before failing, and always enables eventdns.
    - Libevent-1.2 exports, but does not define in its headers, strlcpy.
      Try to fix this in configure.in by checking for most functions
      before we check for libevent.