Blocked by Websense

offset offset at ubersecurity.org
Sun Nov 26 19:37:26 UTC 2006

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 05:10:22PM +0800, John Kimble wrote:
> A report from the field, plus questions:
>
> Earlier today I was trying to use Tor from my local library's network,
> which uses an HTTP proxy with Websense enabled. It seems Tor is
> blocked by Websense with the reason: "proxy avoidance".
>
> The blocking is done by redirecting all HTTP requests with
> "/tor/server/" in the path to a local "blocked by Websense" page. I've
> tested this by entering arbitrary URLs with "/tor/server/" in the
> path, like these two below, which all lead to the "blocked" page:
> http://www.google.com/tor/server/blahblah
> http://www.arbitrary.net/more-arbirary-path/tor/server/meh.txt
>
> The way Websense works, this "proxy avoidance" rule is likely to be
> common across all organisations that choose to turn this rule on.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> Is there a way I can somehow supply Tor with directory information
> when Tor is unable to do a plaintext HTTP download (which is quite
> easy to block based on fixed strings in the path) when it starts up?
>
> Provided the first question is solved, once Tor has built its
> circuits, can it be configured to download its directory updates
> through the Tor circuits, so as to avoid leaving behind these telltale
> footprints of periodical Tor directory downloads?
>
> Thanks,
> John

I've looked at websense before while using tor and then looking through the logs.  Some of the exit nodes are categorized as proxies, while others arent.  I'm not sure if Websense categorizes based on traffic or its simply over time the websense makers identify exit nodes and categorize them as proxy ip addresses.

--
offset - ubersecurity org