Connecting to special ports through Tor/Privoxy

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Fri Nov 3 13:42:34 UTC 2006

force44 at Safe-mail.net wrote:

> >> When I want to connect through Tor to special port as 8443 by https
> >> (Plesk panels), I simply cannot and always get a blank page. (Usual
> >> config for https is 127.0.0.1:8118)
>
> > Some Privoxy configurations limit CONNECT to port 443
> > or block it all together. By default Privoxy answers those
> > request with an error message inside the HTTP headers because
> > some user agents get confused otherwise. If you use a browser
> > that hides HTTP headers, these error messages are obviously
> > easy to overlook.

> The problem isn't on the port 443, but 8443.

As I already wrote above, CONNECT requests are limited to
port 443 (or blocked to every port) by default and as a result
attempts to CONNECT to port 8443 get blocked.

> The Plesk addresses are https://domain/etc:8443

Which means the proxy-using browser will use HTTP CONNECT while
trying to open the SSL connection.

> Usual addresses https work fine with my config, it is when I want to
> connect to the port 8443 that it fails.

Usually HTTPS connections use port 443 which isn't blocked.

> And I have no Privoxy error page, nothing. Just a blank page.

As mentioned above, the error message is send as HTTP header.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/