Anonymous Blogging

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Tue Nov 14 18:13:37 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 12:14:38AM +0800, RMS wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I like to ask what is the encryption level for Tor? I cannot find it
> despite searching.  Is it better than Gmail's AES-256 256bit?

You can find full details about Tor's protocol at
   http://tor.eff.org/svn/trunk/doc/tor-spec.txt

Tor uses 1024-bit RSA, 1024-bit Diffie-Hellman, 128-bit AES in counter
mode, and SHA1.  We also sometimes use 3DES if your version of OpenSSL
is very old.

Then again, if you are worried about an hypothetical attacker who can
break AES-128 but can't break AES-256, such an attacker probably has
resources to mount attacks against Tor that are far easier.

hth,
--
Nick Mathewson