Update (#1) for FF hacks (Was: Re: Easy Firefox hacks to improve anonymity)

Anothony Georgeo anogeorgeo at yahoo.com
Wed May 24 18:41:52 UTC 2006

Update #1;

These updates are hacks to the "about:config" menu to
improve anonymity and the anonymity set by increasing
the scope of the Tor HTTP/S Header template.

A double asteric "**" denotes an important update
hack.

Great page on RFC specs for "Header Field Definitions"
at cotse <http://www.cotse.com/CIE/RFC/2068/155.htm>

-------

To all: Please read and tell me your opinions.

-------

The anonymity set that I am attempting to use is as
follows:

-Updates are letters 'G', 'H' and 'I' below-

A. User-Agent:
Mozilla, Windows XP, 128-bit encryption, English
(non-localized), Firefox.

B. Referer(Referrer):
Is set to the root (home page) of the site you are
currently visiting
(eg."http://www.example-root.com";).

I think it is wise to use {forge} for the template
Referer setting.  If we use a real domain with the
{custom} paramiter it may get Tor in trouble with the
real domain's owners.  I am pretty sure we can not use
{block} as it breakes many sites.

Note:
HTTPS referrer from one HTTPS URL directly to another
HTTPS URL is set to {block} incase RegControl can not
properly handle these headers.  This is because I have
not tested (and I don't know) HTTPS to HTTPS referrer
headers.

C. Keep-Alive:
Close

D. Compression:
Prevented

E. X-Forwarded-for:
Not removed or spoofed as FF does not have this
capibility.  Besides, the entry node removes your real
"X-Forwarded-for:" header and it already has your real
IP.

F. Ping:
FF will supress the Ping function in HTTP/S.

** G. Accept-Languages:
Configured to match the language in "User-Agent";
English non-localized (<en>).

H. Accept-Default:
Used a configuration that should allow all relevent
file types and is used by a wide range of people
already.

I. Accept-Charsets:
Again, use of a general default setting <iso-8859-1>
and I also used the all parm {*}.

-----------

**Directions**

-Updated settings are #7, #8 and #9 below-

1.
Start Firefox

2.
Type this into the URL bar and hit [enter]:

about:config

3. -HTTPS Referrer-
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.http.sendSecureXSiteReferrer>

3a. Copy/paste the following line into the "Filter:"
bar:

"network.http.sendSecureXSiteReferrer"

3b. Right click on the title and choose "toggle"
ensure the 'Value' entry reads "False".

{false} = Don't send the Referer header when
navigating from a https site to another https site.

4. -Keep-Alive(proxy connection)-
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.http.proxy.keep-alive>

4a. Copy/paste the following line into the "Filter:"
bar:

"Network.http.proxy.keep-alive"

4b. Right click on the title and choose "toggle"
ensure the 'Value' entry reads "False".

{false} = Never use keep-alive connections.

5. -Keep-Alive-
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.http.keep-alive>

5a. Copy/paste the following line into the "Filter:"
bar:

"Network.http.keep-alive"

5b. Right click on the title and choose "toggle"
ensure the 'Value' entry reads "False".

{false} = Never use keep-alive connections.

6. -Accept-Encoding-
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.http.accept-encoding>
Prevent compression of HTTP/S data.

6a. Copy/paste the following line into the "Filter:"
bar:

"network.http.accept-encoding"

6b. Right click on the title and choose "modify".

6c. Delete the text from the box and copy/paste the
following line into the box:

"gzip;q=0,deflate;q=0,compress;q=0"

6d. Now click "OK"

{gzip;q=0,deflate;q=0,compress;q=0} = No compression

** 7. -Accept-Languages-
This should be set to the same language that is used
by the User-Agent; ie. English, non-localized <en>.

7a. Copy/paste the following line into the "Filter:"
bar:

"intl.accept_languages"

7b. Right click on the title and choose "modify".

7c. Delete the text from the box and copy/paste the
following line into the box:

"en"

7d. Now click "OK"

{en} = English, non-localized

8. -Accept-Default-
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.http.accept.default>

8a. Copy/paste the following line into the "Filter:"
bar:

"network.http.accept.default"

8b. Right click on the title and choose "modify".

8c. Delete the text from the box and copy/paste the
following line into the box:

Note: line should not be wrapped.

{text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,
text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5}

9. -Accept-Charsets-

9a. Copy/paste the following line into the "Filter:"
bar:

"intl.accept_charsets"

9b. Right click on the title and choose "modify".

9c. Delete the text from the box and copy/paste the
following line into the box:

{ISO-8859-1,*}

10. -Send Ping-
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.send_pings>

10a. This option is not required, you do not need to
use it.

10b. Right click anywhere in the 'about:config' window
and select "New > Boolean".

10c. Copy/paste the following line into the
'Perference
Name" box:

"Browser.send pings"

10d. In the next window select "false"

{false} = Ignore the ping attribute.

11. -User_Agent-
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_agent>
"User Agent Switcher" is a great FireFox extension.

11a. Install "User Agent Switcher"
<https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/59/>

11b. Restart Firefox

11c. Click on "Tools > User Agent Switcher > Options >
Options...".

11d. In the next window click the text "User Agents"

11e. Then click the "Add" button and enter the
following text in the appropriate boxes:

Note: Lines should not be wrapped.

English

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1;
en; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050716 Firefox/1.0.5

App Name: Firefox

App version: 5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en;
rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050716 Firefox/1.0.5

Platform: Win32

Vendor:

Vendor Sub:
--

11f. Now close and reopen Firefox again and select
"Tools > Mozilla, Windows XP, 128-bit encryption,

12. -HTTP/S Referrer-
The FF extension "RefControl" is a great tool.

12a. Install "RefControl"
<http://www.stardrifter.org/refcontrol/>

12b. Restart Firefox

12c. Click on "Tools > RefControl Options..."

12d. In the window that loads click the button "Edit"

12e. Then click the button "Forge" then the buttons
"OK" and "OK".

-----------

Please try this out and let me know how you fare and
where improvments may be made.

**TESTING**

After following the directions...

A. Go to the following site and record your results:
<http://www.stilllistener.com/checkpoint1/test2/>

B. Then goto this site and record your results:
<http://www.stilllistener.com/checkpoint1/ssi/>

C. Then compare the results from both tests.  The
results should be the same as each other and the same
as Tor's official Privoxy configuration.