Aren't exit node names supposed to be unique?

Anthony DiPierro or at inbox.org
Wed May 24 11:56:51 UTC 2006

On 5/24/06, Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 07:28:37AM -0400, Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> > It would seem to me that exit node names should be unique, in part in
> > order for ExcludeNodes to work.  [snip]
>
> They have the same nickname, but different keys/owners/etc. As of
> Tor 0.1.0.x, nicknames are no longer unique.
>
> This is the whole point of "binding" your nickname to your key via
> the directory authorities:
> http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#CanIJustConfigureAndRun
>
> If you use an unnamed nickname (one not already bound by the directory
> authorities to a particular key) in ExcludeNodes, etc, Tor will warn
> you that you're ambiguous. You should specify it by key, e.g.
> "$FF8845046DB449DA989B025AEA1D10E19E709166" for the one in Norway.
>
> --Roger

Thanks for the info.  It looks like that perl script on serifos needs
to be updated, since nicknames aren't unique.  Specifically, the
desc.pl takes a query where the variable "q" is set to the nickname of
the router.

Now I guess I should look into accessing this information more
directly instead of scraping someone else's tor script output :)

Anthony