TOR on Academic networks (problem)

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Wed May 17 17:08:53 UTC 2006

> Thus making Tor suck for everyone.  The better approach would be to just
> say reject *:80 or reject *:* or something like that.  Your node is
> still useful as a middleman and wouldn't actively harm clients.

Everyone how? .. it'd just affect people trying to access a specific set
of academic journals through TOR, and only for 15 seconds or so until it
picked another node.

Academic networks represent a large portion of the TOR servers, and
because of the way these journals operate, we all have this problem.

Either allow the ExitPolicy to be longer somehow, or change the program
so the "basic" routing policy is published, and allow each server to
have a more specific one that is checked only when someone's using that
exit -- to say "no, I don't allow that specific site, pick another node".

/mike.