Some legal trouble with TOR in France

glymr glymr_darkmoon at ml1.net
Mon May 15 04:11:15 UTC 2006

I personally have stopped trying to use tor because latency has gone far
beyond my patience. Something needs to be done about tor's bandwidth
capability. Of course more bandwidth will mean more users... and I have
said this before and I will say it again - Tor needs to run a minimal
server capability by default, even a 2kb/s, and no more of this
middleman only business, the more people doing it, the less isolated
those who get targeted become, and the greater the pool of possible
'suspects'...

I think it's a classic example of an opportunity for 'free riders' that
tor not being a pure p2p application that there is this bandwidth
problem, and this also makes those who have the intestinal fortitude to
run servers, especially exit nodes, have a much greater risk of getting
caught up in a legal problem. IMHO, the concept of middlemen nodes and
client-only connections needs to be done away with because it decreases
the 'lost in the crowd' solidarity that really SHOULD be a part of the
tor philosophy, I think there is a little too much pandering to the
lowest common denominator.

If those bad guys, eg terrorists and child pornographers, were not able
to use the tor network for risk of being caught in a legal problem
originating from an entirely different bad guy that would be better for
everyone. This would be simple to implement too, as a peer verification.
Before a node would accept traffic from another node, it would look up
the node's ip address in the directory, if it didn't find it, it would
refuse to carry traffic for it, and as a second test, it would attempt
to push a test packet through the node in a double-back loop (onion
route via a second known good node back to itself)... And to add more to
this, a peer-bandwidth reporting system, where nodes measure the traffic
they send through each different node, and report this back to the
servers (as opposed to self-reporting) and this would further make the
process of using tor without exposing yourself to some other bad guy's
traffic.

Now I know that this would probably rattle a lot of people but we must
be serious about this. If you really care about your legal safety and
the anonymity of the network, you should be contributing, even if only
enough to permit half of a 56k dialup connection (ie 1-2kb/s) to relay
traffic. The random hop length is also a very good idea, I don't think
that random delays are neccessary, this is naturally introduced by
random hop lengths. Having the nodes construct a big number of circuit
paths would be good too, every http object request, for example, could
be sent out on a different circuit which may or may not be a different
length, it would certainly make the global adversary much more work to
try and track the endpoints. Another side point is that this reinforces
the value of such detachable persisting stream protocols as silc, which
allow the user to close the stream and reestablish it transparently.

my 2c

glymr