Some legal trouble with TOR in France

Eric H. Jung eric.jung at yahoo.com
Sun May 14 15:28:21 UTC 2006

> > Before they realise that they need a key you can microwave the
> token.
> > You can then surrender it when required and still meet your legal
> > obligations... 'It must have been static damage officer...you need
> > be more careful with my equipment'
>
> Which in the UK at least could land you in prison for up to 10 years.

Evidence tampering is a severe crime in the United States, too.

> I wouldn't be surprised if the US Government at least *mandated*
> TPM-level access.

Don't any of you remember the Xerox scandal?
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/10/secret_forensic.html

There's also code in high-end color Xerox copiers which prevents and/or
mangles copying of US currency. This was reported a few years ago IIRC.

Do you think Xerox decided to put these measures into their machinery
themselves? Or do you think they were asked/coaxed into doing it by The
Man

> Tony's point was that you could arrange not to have the
authentication
> tokens anymore. You better hope they believe you when you say you
> don't have it, though.

>Not having the authentication tokens counts as refusing to surrender
>them.

Per US law, if a judge subpoenas you to hand them over and you refuse
and/or remain silent, it means indefinite jail time (until you hand
over the tokens) and/or fines.