Some legal trouble with TOR in France

Tony Tony at tdrmail.co.uk
Sun May 14 14:35:08 UTC 2006

Nb - an interesting question arises with the use of TrueCrypt, etc. that
have passkeys that can unlock different levels of data. If you have
dummy volumes and provide the passkeys to just those have you met your
legal requirements?

The implication under the RIP act is that you have.

     (2) A person subject to a requirement under subsection (1)(b) to
make a disclosure of any information in an intelligible form shall be
taken to have complied with that requirement if- (a) he makes, instead,
a disclosure of any key to the protected information that is in his
possession; and

  (b) that disclosure is made, in accordance with the notice imposing
the requirement, to the person to whom, and by the time by which, he was
required to provide the information in that form.

So unless the notice specified exactly what data they wanted access to
(which presumably they would already have a record of to request it),
then providing that the notice only requires access to a specified Disk
or volume then it would seem you have met those obligations by providing
a dummy volume passkey.