Firefox extension: TorButton

Scott Squires squires at zargon.hobbesnet.org
Sat Mar 11 16:03:18 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 07:00:39PM -0500, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> Correct. You should point all the protocols to privoxy (localhost 8118)
> including clicking the button, and you should *also* point socks 5 to
> tor (localhost 9050). This is for protocols that don't obey the standard
> proxy settings but do obey the socks proxy setting.

"SOCKS Host" cannot be set to port 9050 while "Use HTTP Proxy for all
protocols" is set to port 8118.  Firefox changes the SOCKS port to match
the 8118 of the http proxy setting.

Looking at the source, the "use for all protocols" checkbox is not used in
the code that actually selects which proxy to use.  That checkbox is just
a user interface element to save the user some typing.  So I am leaving
this box unchecked and setting the SOCKS to port 9050.

Proxy selection code:
http://lxr.mozilla.org/aviarybranch/source/netwerk/base/src/nsProtocolProxyService.cpp#476
Proxy preferences interface code:
http://lxr.mozilla.org/aviarybranch/source/browser/components/prefwindow/content/pref-connection.xul#53
http://lxr.mozilla.org/aviarybranch/source/browser/components/prefwindow/content/pref-connection.js#133

--Scott,
who is amused by creative spellings of 'network'