Vidalia

Anothony Georgeo anogeorgeo at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 3 13:21:07 UTC 2006

--- Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:

> > The reason I ask is the comments in the torrc
> > imply it should not be manually edited.
>
> What comments imply this? Can you help us fix the
> wording?
>
> --Roger

IMO these comments at the top of the torrc file imply
the torrc should not be manually edited:

-----
This file was generated by Tor; if you edit it,
comments will not be preserved.

If you want a config file with comments, look for
torrc.orig.1 or similar
-----

For example, the sentence "...if you edit it, comments
will not be preserved." seems to imply that each time
Vidalia is configured the settings in the torrc are
wiped and a new ones are added. Thus removing any
end-user added comments and/or settings(-I know this
is not the case-).

The senctence "If you want a config file with
comments, look for torrc.orig.1 or similar" seems to
imply an end-user should edit the 'torrc.orig.%' if
they wish to add comments and/or commands.

The first sentence says end-user added comments will
not be retained in the torrc.  The second sentence
says an end-user should look in 'torrc.orig.%' for
comments.  This seems to imply comments/commands
should be added to the 'torrc.orig.%' as they are not
preserved in the torrc.

Overall, I think most of the confusion comes from the
vaugeness of the comments in the new torrc.  Also,
many end-users are not fimilar or comfortable with a
concept as simple as comments(#).

I humbly suggest something along these lines:

-----
This is an autogenerated file created by Tor when you
update and save settings from within Vidalia.  The
original, non-autogenerated torrc has been renamed to
"torrc.orig.%".

The settings from 'torrc.orig.%' have been imported
into this new 'torrc' file.  If you wish to manually
add/edit Tor settings please do so from within this
file.  Do not add comments(#) to this file as they are
not retained, only settings are retained by this file.

If you wish to read the original, non-autogenerated
torrc file please see 'torrc.orig.%'.
-----

Is this helpfull?