Vidalia

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sat Jun 3 06:58:47 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 09:20:16PM -0700, Anothony Georgeo wrote:
> Say I have 'torrc' and 'torrc.orig.1' and I need to
> add "Address" or "AccountingMax"; would I add these to
> the torrc.orig.1 or the new torrc?

Tor never ever looks at the torrc.orig.%d file. It simply renames
torrc to it if the torrc doesn't have the magic string at the top:

#define GENERATED_FILE_PREFIX "# This file was generated by Tor; " \
  "if you edit it, comments will not be preserved"

> It seems I could add them to the torrc as the torrc
> has my Bandwith config settings which are not removed
> when I re-configure Vidalia.
>
> Or, when Tor exicutes SETCONF (after Vidalia's 'save'
> button is clicked) is the torrc.orig.1 file re-parsed
> by Tor and then copied into the torrc along with the
> settings made via. Vidalia?

No, Tor totally ignores the torrc.orig.%d file.

> The reason I ask is the comments in the torrc imply it
> should not be manually edited.

What comments imply this? Can you help us fix the wording?

--Roger