tor+torbutton without privoxy doesn't work

Jens Lechtenboerger snooped at online.de
Fri Jun 2 20:14:41 UTC 2006

Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> writes:

> [...]
>>Can I use Tor without Privoxy? Is it possible?
>
> (Answering this question out of order)
> It is possible, but I've found it harder to explain to people how to do
> it, so we simply recommend using Privoxy. If you want to take Privoxy
> out of the loop, check out:
> http://tor.eff.org/docs/tor-switchproxy.html
> http://foxyproxy.mozdev.org/
> http://www.imperialviolet.org/deerpark.html
> and recognize that you'll probably screw up your configuration,
> since there are a lot of "how to do this correctly" questions that
> even the Tor developers haven't looked at much yet.

What's wrong with the last link (imperialviolet.org)?  For me that
one seems to work just fine.  For German readers, more detailed
instructions concerning further browser settings and background
information are available at:
http://www.informationelle-selbstbestimmung-im-internet.de/

>> I uninstalled whole
>> pack, restarted my computer, installed only Tor and Tor-startup package,
>> updated Torbutton. I changed config in Torbutton not to use Privoxy and
>> I still get the same error... I cannot use Tor...
>
> Ah ha, there is a new Torbutton out this week, with new features and
> new bugs. Great. Here's a partial list from first playing with it:
>
> * I agree with you that un-clicking "use Privoxy" in the new Torbutton
> doesn't seem to work for me either. I'm using Firefox 1.0 in Debian Sarge.
> When I un-click "Use Privoxy", it fills in "localhost" "9050" for every
> proxy entry. It should just fill it in for the "socks" entry. As it
> is now, my Firefox tries to use Tor directly as an http proxy, which
> doesn't work.
>
> * When I click "Use custom proxy settings" and remove the "localhost"
> and "9050" from the http proxy, and click ok, it doesn't actually
> take effect. I need to close firefox and restart and then it does.
>
> * In the "About Torbutton" dialog, it doesn't tell me what version
> I'm using. This makes it hard to report bugs well.
>
> * I had to play around with it for a while, but it seems that it turns
> Tor off every time I change anything in the "Preferences..." menu. What
> I think that really means is that it's displaying the string "Tor
> Disabled" when the proxy configuration does not exactly match the one
> that we consider safe for Tor. This is great, but now that Torbutton
> has multiple configurations that it wants to consider safe, we need to
> update the logic for when to display "Tor Disabled".

Just to add one point:  In my case, Torbutton configured Firefox to
use the privoxy port 8118 for HTTP, SSL and so on and *also* port
9050 for SOCKS...

Jens