Tor Leaking

Ringo Kamens 2600denver at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 11:42:37 UTC 2006

As long as you use the default configuration and set your browser to use a
HTTP proxy, then DNS leaks shouldn't be a problem. The problem occurs when
you tell programs to use tor as a socks proxy and they decide to resolve
their own DNS names. If you block DNS resolving with your firewall the
program might try to resolve the DNS name through tor. If you route a
program through freecap it shouldn't be a problem. DNS leaking was more of a
problem in the past and if tor is passed an IP address (which is a sign of a
DNS leak) it will warn you.
Ringo