Tor 0.1.1.20 servers no longer handle dynamic IPs?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Wed Jun 14 11:38:31 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 06:10:48PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> The phenomenon as I understand it is that you start your Tor server,
> and nearly all testing circuits fail, and eventually one maybe succeeds
> after a half hour or an hour, for reasons I haven't figured out yet;
> then when your IP address changes, you're back to square one, at best.

I believe I've fixed the bug. At least, I fixed a big bug. :)

The bug affects servers who publish a valid descriptor with one IP:port,
and then soon after try to test whether they're reachable at a different
IP:port. So it mainly affects servers on dynamic IP addresses.

There's a catch, though -- the bug is in the Tor servers that we're
testing via, not in our own tests. So pretty much the whole deployed
Tor network has this problem. Only Tor servers that have upgraded to
0.1.1.21-cvs or 0.1.2.1-alpha (not yet released) will do the reachability
tests correctly.

I just put a patch into current cvs to prefer nodes running these new
versions when doing reachability tests. So if you update to the latest
cvs, I believe the reachability problems will go away:
http://tor.eff.org/documentation#Developers
I've included a snapshot here, for people who prefer tarballs:
http://freehaven.net/~arma/tor-0.1.2.0-alpha-cvs.tar.gz

Please let me know if it works / doesn't work for you.

--Roger