Finding my exit node

Jay Goodman Tamboli jay at tamboli.cx
Mon Jul 10 17:25:10 UTC 2006

On 2006.07.10, at 13:08, Geoffrey Goodell wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 12:56:13PM -0400, Geoffrey Goodell wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 11:55:17AM -0400, Jay Goodman Tamboli wrote:
>>> I'm currently using an exit node that's returning "TorEnd" as the
>>> response to any HTTP request. Vidalia doesn't seem to work (doesn't
>>> see that Tor is running), so what's the best way to find out what my
>>> current exit node is? I'd like to email the owner or at least report
>>> the problem to someone.
>>
>> Your question really has no answer, since the Tor circuit that you
>> just
>> used five nanoseconds ago might have already been closed (or
>> simply not selected)
>> by the time you use Tor to access a service to look up the exit
>> node it
>> sees!
>
> Any HTTP request, or just HTTP requests to port 80?  Perhaps this web
> page would work for you:
>
> http://serifos.eecs.harvard.edu:8000/cgi-bin/ipaddr.pl?tor=1

I'll make note of these URLs to test if I see it again. Shortly after
seeing the error and realizing it wasn't a problem with the site
itself, I tried going to http://ipid.shat.net/. Reloading that page
gave me 3 different IPs, while reloading the problem site continued
to give me the same TorEnd. As you said, the circuit changes, so I
can't be sure anyway.

Interestingly, http://serifos.eecs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ipaddr.pl?
tor=1 currently reports that I'm coming from 67.106.81.120, which it
claims isn't a Tor exit node. It is.

/jgt
--
http://tamboli.cx/