Tor & dynamic dns

Marcel u-281 at vif.com
Fri Jul 7 18:40:04 UTC 2006

* Marco A. Calamari (marcoc1 at dada.it) wrote:

> I have online several nodes that use xDSL lines with
>  dynamic IP and fixed names using dynamic dns.
>
> When the associates modem/router change address after a disconnection
>  (common situation on italian xDSL lines, that disconnects daily
>  or more often) the host  update his name without stopping tor.
>
> In the torrc there is the FQDN, not the IP
>
> I noticed that such nodes appear and disappear often
>  in the serifos statistics
>
> http://serifos.eecs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/exit.pl
>
> despite the fact that they are always reachable, usable and
>  present in the tor directory.
>
> Must I restart Tor each time the IP change ? Or do something
>  else ?

This have worked for me.  Never since one of those dreaded messages
thereafter.

linux486:~# cat /etc/ppp/ip-down.d/tor
#!/bin/sh
#
test -e /etc/init.d/tor2 && /usr/bin/killall /usr/sbin/tor

linux486:~# cat /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/tor
#!/bin/sh
#
test -e /etc/init.d/tor2 && /etc/init.d/tor2 start

linux486:~# mv /etc/init.d/tor /etc/init.d/tor2

Good luck