Spam sent to contact address

Tor User toruser at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 18 12:38:16 UTC 2006

I am running a tor server and publish a contact email address in a mangled
format, along the lines of  toruser-at-gmail-dot-com. I have received two
apparent spams to that address recenly. A somewhat surprising aspect is that
both contained just one random word and no other content. They were the only
two emails ever received at that address, and I have not published the
address anywhere (although google finds it at moria.seul.org:9031).

I am wondering whether to put this down to the incopetence of the
spammer(s), or whether there could be any possible reason for why they might
have wanted to send me content-free messages after going into the effort of
unscrambling the email address. I doubt they would have wanted to learn
anything from an automated bounce message (which they would expect to come
from gmail in any case) but cannot see any other explanation.

Do others also get spam to addresses published only through tor status, does
said spam look like the usual sort of spam, and can anyone think of an
explanation for the above? Many thanks.